Pet Hints and Tips No.1: Dog training
Training your dog can be a struggle, especially if you’ve never done it before. Or perhaps you’ve done the basics, but need a helping hand to tackle your dog’s less desirable behaviour.
Dog training expert Susie Fazakerley is on hand to help. First and foremost, dog training should be fun for you and your pet.
“Taking time to train your dog will ensure a happier, more rewarding life together,” she explains.
But before you get started, deck yourself out with appropriate clothing and equipment – dogs who don’t get out for a daily walk can become destructive.
Susie’s Top 10 Dog Training Tips
1. Be patient. Dog training takes time and your dog will not learn new behaviours overnight.
2. Persevere. Some behaviours take longer to learn than others. You will on occasion find your dog has regressed and you will have to repeat the training exercise.
3. Establish a routine. Incorporate your daily training regime whilst exercising your dog, but allow your dog to ‘let off some steam’ before moving into training mode.
4. Establish eye contact with your dog. This will prevent him/her from becoming distracted.
5. Reward your dog with lots of praise, treats and toys. Keep training sessions short and fun and include playtime to keep your dog interested.
6. Keep your expectations realistic. Don't be over-ambitious with your training schedule – steady progress over a longer period of time will ensure better results.
7. Involve the whole family. If your dog is getting different messages from various members of the family, confusion will ensue and your pet will not respond in the desired way.
8. Vary your dog training locations. By exposing your dog to different environments he will begin to offer the behaviours you want – wherever you are.
9. Keep it up. Three to four ten-minute training sessions a day is far better than one long session a week – and will be more enjoyable for you too.
10. Sign up to some dog training classes, where you can learn the basics and maybe try an agility course – guaranteed fun and fitness for you and your dog!
Susie Fazakerley runs the Leadership Dog Training School in Hertfordshire. She offers dog agility classes and training, puppy training, one-to-one training, group classes and dog walking. Contact Susie on 07884 051313 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Lets add somemore info on this page.